Section 811 Project Rental Assistance Program

Fiscal Year 2012 Section 811 Project Rental Assistance Demo

In February 2013, the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development announced the award of Section 811 Project Rental Assistance Demonstration funding to 13 states, including Maryland. The Maryland Department of Housing and Community Development in partnership with the Maryland Department of Health and the Maryland Department of Disabilities applied under HUD’s Notice of Funding Availability for $10,917,383 of Section 811 Project Rental Assistance Demonstration funding to serve 150 individuals with disabilities, as further described below. Maryland’s application was fully funded. In July 2014, HUD increased the award amount to $11,229,308. The funding is anticipated to provide project-based assistance for 150 units in the Baltimore and Washington D.C. Metropolitan Statistical Areas.  It is expected that the units will be evenly spread between the two Metropolitan Statistical Areas.  However, this may change as the program moves forward.

Fiscal Year 2012 Cooperative Agreement

Fiscal Year 2013 Section 811 Project Rental Assistance

In March 2015, the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development announced the award of another round of Section 811 Project Rental Assistance funding to 25 states, including Maryland. Maryland received full funding in the amount of $9,808,054. The funding is anticipated to provide project-based assistance for 150 units statewide. It is expected that 75% of the units will be in the Baltimore and Washington, D.C. areas and the remaining 25% will be distributed on the Eastern Shore and Western Maryland. However, this may change as the program moves forward.

Fiscal Year 2013 Cooperative Agreement

Eligible Applicants

The Maryland Department of Housing and Community Development will award Section 811 Project Rental Assistance funds to eligible projects in conjunction with the administration of its existing financing programs, including the award of federal Low Income Housing Tax Credits and State Rental Housing fund. The department will also utilize a Notice of Funding Availability process to award Section 811 Project Rental Assistance funds to projects with existing department financing.

Eligible Residents

Section 811 Project Rental Assistance Program funds will be used to provide project-based rental assistance for persons with disabilities referred by the Department of Health and the Maryland Department of Disabilities who are non-elderly adults with disabilities, age 18 and over and below 62 years of age with income at or below 30% of AMI who are Medicaid recipients. Supportive services for persons in the Project Rental Assistance Demo will be provided by the Department of Health and the Maryland Department of Disabilities.

Eligible Types of Housing

Eligible projects are any Department-financed rental projects.

Loan Terms

This is a rental assistance program, not a loan program. Eligible properties will receive an award through the Project Rental Assistance Demo for project-based rental assistance. The Project Rental Assistance Demo units will then be rented to persons with disabilities referred by the Department of Health and the Maryland Department of Disabilities.

More Information

Contact: Housing Development Programs 
Maryland Department of Housing and Community Development 
7800 Harkins Road, Lanham, MD 20706 
E: Shalonda.Manuel@Maryland.gov ​​​

General Information

FY 2012 Section 811 Project Rental Assistance Demo

FY 2013 Section 811 Project Rental Assistance

Program Tenant Selection Plans

Tenant/Resident Selection Plans Under Section 811 Participating Properties

​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​