The Maryland Department of Housing & Community Development (DHCD) is administering $20 million for the Assisted Housing Relief Program.
The Assisted Housing Relief Program is intended to help bring rental delinquencies current for those units and provide real relief for the tenants affected by the COVID-19 pandemic through direct payments to the eligible property management company. Tenants in eligible properties will be credited with up to a nine month rent rebate which will eliminate their rental debt and the threat of eviction.
The program will be limited to rental units in multi-family projects financed by DHCD’s Community Development Administration using state funds or federal resources, such as the Low-Income Housing Tax Credit program where the unit rent is controlled.
Applications will be collected and consolidated by property managers and submitted to DHCD.
- Eligibility will be based on the number of tenants who are able certify that the cause of their rent delinquency is COVID-related.
- A property look-up website is available. All eligible properties can submit one application per property.
Maryland Department of Housing & Community Development (DHCD) Applicant Eligibility Criteria:
For properties to be eligible to apply on behalf of tenants, the tenant (s) must meet all of the following criteria:
Is identified as Leaseholder in the written Dwelling Lease for the unit listed above;
- Is not receiving other forms of rental assistance, including assistance through a Housing Choice Voucher, Project-Based Rental Assistance, Section 202 Supportive Housing for the Elderly, Section 811 Supportive Housing for Persons with Disabilities, or similar rental assistance programs used to subsidize the rental unit.
- Is delinquent on rental payments due between April 1 – December 31, 2020; and
- Is delinquent due to illness, employment or wage loss caused by the COVID-19 public health emergency.
Maryland Department of Housing & Community Development (DHCD) Application Process:
The Assisted Housing Relief Program application period is CLOSED.
Future announcements about the Assisted Housing Relief Program will be sent out as Multifamily Notices. You can sign up for the notices at the following link: http://dhcd.maryland.gov/HousingDevelopment/Pages/About.aspx
If you are in need of rental assistance you can contact email@example.com for more resources or reach out to your local government.